- Hyde Park Hospital: 2000 (Closed due to financial problems. Demolished.)
- Edgewater Medical Center: 2001 (Committed Medicare fraud and lost Medicare funding, resulting in closure. Still standing.)
- Ravenswood Hospital: 2002 (Closed by Advocate Health Care. Site purchased by Lycee Francais to build a new school. Still standing.)
- Lincoln Park Hospital: 2008 (Closed after losing money; violated health codes while closing. Currently being demolished and will be replaced with “Webster Square.”)
- Michael Reese Hospital: 2009 (Closed after financial problems. Demolished.)
It should be noted that there are two closed hospitals that are still standing, even though they were replaced with another one: Cook County Hospital and Prentice Women’s Hospital. The main point though is that Chicago has a problem with hospitals closing and an even bigger problem with not getting rid of them, or securing them properly, as that was a problem at Michael Reese. This is related to the story about a boy dying after falling in Ravenswood Hospital.